View larger image
© Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery
Click on each image below to view at full size:
|Collection:||Coins & Medals|
|Date:||1824 c - 1824 c|
|Medallist:|| Thomas Ottley - View biography for Thomas Ottley|
The Blue Coat School was established in the early 18th century by several leading Birmingham families, the Society for the Propagation of Christian Knowledge and the Church authorities. They wanted to address the problems of illiteracy, lack of moral guidance and the growing influence of the Nonconformists in the town. It opened on August 9th 1724, with 32 boys and 20 girls as the first 'Bluecoats'. For the centenary celebrations in 1824 the pupils were treated to a week's holiday and a special dinner of "roast beef and plumb pudding". Members of the public were invited to a dinner at the Royal Hotel, and a commemorative medal was struck, of which the children received a metal copy.
|Purchased from John Staunton, 1875.|