Back to the previous page
Oil Painting - Cupid and Psyche - Palace Green Murals - Psyche's Sisters visit her at Cupid's House
View larger image
© Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery
There are no additional images for this object.
|Collection:||Fine Art Paintings and Sculpture|
|Date:||1872 - 1881|
|Artist:||Sir Edward Burne-Jones - View biography for Sir Edward Burne-Jones|
|Artist:||Walter Crane - View biography for Walter Crane|
The fourth in a series of twelve panels, based on 'The Story of Cupid and Psyche' from William Morris's epic poem, 'The Earthly Paradise', commissioned by George Howard (later the 9th Earl of Carlisle) in the late 1860s for his newly-built home in No 1 Palace Green, Kensington.
The full title of the panel is, 'Psyche's sisters visit her at Cupid's House: Psyche, unrobing, listens to the voice of Love, invisible: Psyche's sisters bidding her farewell after their second visit.'
|Presented by the daughters of George Howard, 9th Earl of Carlisle, 1922.|