View larger image
© Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery
Click on each image below to view at full size:
|Collection:||Antiquities - Ancient & Mediaeval Coins|
|Date:||1516 - 1526|
|Manufacturer:||Counts of Schlick - View history|
In the 1510s the Counts of Schlick in Bohemia (today part of the Czech Republic) discovered rich silver mines at a place called St.Joachimsthal and began to mint larger silver coins than had normally been used in Europe before. The coins (like this specimen) became known as Joachimsthalers', which was rapidly shortened to 'talers'. This name soon came to be used to describe any silver coin of about the same size and eventually passed into English as 'dollar'.
|Presented by J Lander, 1934.|