View larger image
© Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery
Click on each image below to view at full size:
|Collection:||Coins & Medals|
|Date:||1834 c - 1834 c|
Birmingham's fine Town Hall, built to house the Triennial Music Festival, was designed by Joseph Hansom, inventor of the Hansom cab, and was completed in 1834. The inspiration for the building came from the Temple of Castor and Pollux in Rome, depicted in Palladio's treatises on architecture. The imposing structure was brick-built and faced with Anglesey marble.
|Presented by Miss G Gutteres, 1945.|