Museums Home BMAGiC Home Search Browse BMAGiC Help About BMAGiC Contact Us
           

Case for Culpepper Compound Microscope

View main imageView larger image
Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery

Additional Images

Click on each image below to view at full size:
View image 2 

Basic Information

Accession Number:1965T5099.1
Collection:Social History - Pinto Collection
Date:1725 - 1730

Notes

The compound microscope was invented in the early seventeenth century. Until around 1740, all microscopes consisted of a thin wooden or cardboard cylinder, generally covered with shagreen (shark skin) or leather. Culpepper is one of the great names associated with early miscroscopes. This fitted oak case was specially made to hold a Culpepper microscope. It has a drawer to the bottom which contains several boxwood specimen slides.

Purchased from Edward H Pinto, 1965.

Further Information

Production Period:18th century
Medium:Joined.
Material(s):Steel
Place of Origin:England

Dimensions

Height:45.2 cm
Width:20 cm
Depth:19 cm