View larger image
© Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery
There are no additional images for this object.
|Collection:||Fine Art Paintings and Sculpture|
|Date:||1505 - 1505|
|Artist:||Giovanni Bellini - View biography for Giovanni Bellini|
This altarpiece is something of a mystery. Nothing is known about the man who commissioned it or its original location. The inclusion of full-length saints indicates an important patron and an expensive commission. Though the work is signed on the scrap of paper or 'cartellino' by Bellini, its production would have involved the work of assistants in his studio. Bellini's own hand can be detected in the animated naturalism of the heads of the two saints.
|Purchased by public subscription with contributions from the Denis Mahon Trust, the National Art Collections Fund, the Pilgrim's Trust, Birmingham City Council, West Midlands County Council, the Friends of Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery and a special Government grant in memory of David, Earl of Crawford and Balcarres, 1977.|
|Production Period:||16th century|
|Medium:||Oil on poplar panel.|