Museums Home BMAGiC Home Search Browse BMAGiC Help About BMAGiC Contact Us
           

Necklace with Pendant

View main imageView larger image
The Estate of Georgie Gaskin.

Additional Images

Click on each image below to view at full size:
View image 2 View image 3 View image 4 View image 5 

Basic Information

Accession Number:1981M529
Collection:Applied Art - Jewellery
Date:1918 c - 1918 c

Maker Information

Jeweller:Georgie Gaskin - View biography for Georgie Gaskin

Notes

Mrs Anne Hull Grundy donated a large collection of jewellery to Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery. This was one of a number of donations she made to museums in this country. She was concerned that each collection she gave to a museum should suit its manufacturing history and existing collections. Hence she wished her Birmingham Collection to reflect the work of Birmingham jewellers, especially their contribution to the Arts & Crafts Movement.The Birmingham artists Georgie and Arthur Gaskin took to jewellery making when both were mature artists. Georgie was the dominant jeweller; Arthur did most of the enamelling and had a particular interest in medieval metalwork. They began exhibiting jewellery in 1899; when they exhibited at the 1901 Glasgow International Exhibition, Georgie was reviewed as the jeweller of the two.

Presented by Mrs Anne Hull Grundy, 1981.

Further Information

Production Period:20th Century
School/Style:Arts and Crafts
Medium:Silver, set with opals.
Material(s):Opal
Place of Origin:Birmingham, England

Dimensions

Height:440 mm
Width:55 mm