Museums Home BMAGiC Home Search Browse BMAGiC Help About BMAGiC Contact Us
           

Watercolour - St Edburgha's Church Yardley and The Old Grammer School

View main imageView larger image
Arthur Lockwood

There are no additional images for this object.

Basic Information

Accession Number:1995V419
Collection:Topographical Views - Lockwood Collection
Date:1943 c - 1944 c

Maker Information

Artist:Frank Taylor Lockwood - View biography for Frank Taylor Lockwood

Notes

Frank Taylor Lockwood produced many watercolours of Yardley and the church. A group painted around the 1930's focused on the church and Church Road. This particular watercolour is taken further along Church Road and depicts the Old Grammar School, which is the timber-framed building on the right hand side. This building dates from the latter part of the 15th century. It was known as the Grammar school from the 17th century onwards. The building you can just see on the right hand side was the Yardley Cottager's Institute. Built in 1860 but closed in 1912. This view of Yardley is much the same as it is today.

Presented by Arthur Lockwood and Jean Barnsby.

Further Information

Production Period:20th century
Medium:Watercolour on board.
Material(s):Watercolour

Associated Places

Dimensions

Height:267 mm
Width:371 mm