View larger image
© Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery
Click on each image below to view at full size:
|Date:||1910 - 1951|
|Manufacturer:||George Jones & Sons - View history|
This chamber pot was used at the General Hospital in Birmingham. It was made by a firm called George Jones & Sons in Staffordshire. In 1779, Dr John Ash founded a hospital for Birmingham's poor on Summer Lane. Four nurses could care for up to 100 patients at one time. By the late 19th century it was clear that the building was no longer suitable because new medical techniques could not be accommodated and it was located undesirably close to factories. The New General Hospital, completed in 1879, boasted bright airy wards, adequate operating theatres and residential accommodation for staff.
|Presented by Miss Sheila Scattergood.|