Two firms in Stourbridge, produced glass of this type, where glass is 'cased' or layered in contrasting colours and cut through so a white layer appears in relief against one or more colours. The more colours the greater the skills and complexity.
J & J Northwood acted as a cameo carving workshop for Stevens & Williams, whose work featured British flowers and other natural subjects such as roses, foxgloves and butterflies. Thomas Webb's workshop was the province of brothers Thomas and George Woodall, who tended to specialise in prestigious figure subjects.
In 1915 Coles & Fryer moved from St Paul's Square to Hockley Hill and came under new owners, John Bernard Stragg and Charles William Banks. C. W. Banks became sole proprietor in 1924.