Back to the previous page
Shoulder-belt Plate - The 1st Royal Tower Hamlets Militia
View larger image
© Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery
Click on each image below to view at full size:
|Collection:||Social History - Gaunt Collection|
Around the time of the American War of Independence, officers began wearing their sword belt over the right shoulder, a practice which was easier and quicker than the earlier one of fastening the belt around the waist, under the waistcoat and coat. The trend was taken up by other ranks shortly after.As a result of this development, the original waist-belt clasp was replaced by the ornamental shoulder-belt plate. Generally speaking, these increased in size and extent of ornamentation from the 1770s onwards. The earliest types were oval, oblong or elliptical. Later examples were larger oval-shaped or rectangular with rounded corners, and eventually, by 1825, with squared corners. Typically of extremely high quality craftsmanship, they displayed the various battle honours awarded to a regiment for its distinguished service in a specific campaign, as well as other elements relating to the history of the regiment. They were abolished in 1855.
|Bequeathed by Alderman C F Gaunt, 1951.|