This hand-coloured lithograph, published by Thomas Underwood, was copied from an earlier print by William Westley, probably dating circa 1732. The church of St Philip's was designed by Thomas Archer and was built between 1711 and 1719 on the highest ground in the town. The Birmingham historian, William Hutton, described the spacious layout surrounding the churchyard as 'ornamented with walks in great perfection, shaded with trees in double and treble ranks, and surrounded with buildings in elegant taste'. The building on the left is the Blue Coat charity school, established in 1724 and 'greatly enlarged and improved' in 1794. St Martin's church is visible in the distance, at centre. Inset is a view of the Square, adjacent to St Philip's churchyard, the site of present-day Old Square.