Museums Home BMAGiC Home Search Browse BMAGiC Help About BMAGiC Contact Us
           

Back to the previous page

Tiled Picture - St Martin's Church and the Old Market Place - Old Market Place, Birmingham

View main imageView larger image
Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery

Additional Images

Click on each image below to view at full size:
View image 2 View image 3 View image 4 

Basic Information

Accession Number:1988F1542
Collection:Social History
Date:1891 c - 1891 c

Maker Information

After:David Cox - View biography for David Cox
After:William Radclyffe - View biography for William Radclyffe

Notes

This hand-painted panel was part of the elaborate interior of the Woodman Public House, Easy Row, when re-furbished in 1891. The building was demolished in 1964. It is based on an engraving by W Radclyffe, (itself based on a drawing by David Cox) and depicts Birmingham's markets around 1850. The Woodman pub was the meeting place of city councillors in the mid-nineteenth century, prior to the building of the Council House.

Purchased, 1986.

Further Information

Production Period:19th century
Material(s):Ceramic
Place of Origin:England

Associated Places

Associated Organisations

Dimensions

Height:76.5 cm
Width:123 cm